Remember how I was going to make my own version of the Anthropologie Sun Shades Dress? Well, it's finished.
Here's Anthropologie's dress:
And here's mine:
Mine is, of course, a little different than Anthro's. For starters, mine has sleeves, since Anthro's version wasn't exactly modest. If I'd bought the dress, I'd have added a cute cardigan to go over it, but as I was making it from scratch, why not add sleeves?
Also, mine is a brighter gold than Anthro's version, since that's the color ribbon and fabric that was easiest to find. I didn't realize how much brighter it was until I was in Anthropologie again and looked at the Sun Shades Dress again. I think I actually like my version better. It's a happier color than the almost bronze gold of the original.
It was, as predicted, a beast to create. I ended up drafting the pattern pieces from scratch, for the most part, which was rather difficult without a dress form. (Oh, how I'd love a dress form...) I made several mock ups and tweaked the fit by trying it on over and over again. The bodice isn't perfect (and it doesn't help that I've lost weight since starting the project), but after all that work, I'm declaring it good enough.
The stripes are "mango" broadcloth, cut on the bias into strips, and "gold-yellow" grosgrain ribbon from Walmart. The white fabric is Walmart's Teeshot, a cotton/poly blend often used for making scrubs. The dress is self-lined, with a 6 inch wide gathered tulle hem on the skirt lining for fullness (as on the original dress), and has a side zipper. The mock ups (or "muslins") were made with broadcloth scraps I already owned. Total cost to make: $22. Savings compared to original dress: $136. Not too shabby!