Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Envelope Clutch Tutorial

I made my envelope clutch with thrifted items, but you could make it with any sort of fabric you want.  Or, maybe you'll be lucky enough to find awesome table linens like I was.  Either way, here's how to make my envelope clutch!

So, my before picture shows the placemat and the table runner. Technically there were two placemats. I'm not sure how the second placemat didn't get into the photo...

Again with my trusty blue plaid scrap fabric, I measured out a pattern.  I sewed the two placemats together to make them long enough for the lining, leaving enough extra for the cell-phone pocket.

And then I cut out my lining.
I cut out the pocket, too, and determined where I wanted to place it.
I pinned it and sewed in in place.

After sewing the bottom in place, I pressed under the sides and top-stitched the pocket to the lining.


I used the lining as the "pattern" on the table runner.  I actually even just sewed it on before cutting anything.  I placed the lining and the table runner right sides together, and stitched along the pointed part of the lining.

I cut off the extra when I was done.  Then, I smoothed it out and pinned the bottom of my lining (what you see on the right in the below picture).
I stitched it to the table runner too, and cut off the extra.  So now I had a "house" shape, that was sewn to the table runner at the top and at the bottom.  I turned it right side out and pressed it.  Then, I sewed the sides of the lining closed (leaving the outside table runner layer still open on the sides).

I marked the spots to put the snap closure.

I installed the snaps, then turned the purse right side out again.

I hand stitched the sides of the "table runner" closed.  I finished the raw edges left on the top part of the clutch with some red twill tape I had on hand (see picture below).

To make the tassel, I rolled up some of the cut off fringe and cut off the rest of the fabric.


I used red embroidery floss to hide any remaining fabric and to sew the roll of fringe to itself.  I then stitched the tassel to the clutch with some more embroidery floss and called it a day!  :)  

I'd be so grateful if you headed over to Mommy By Day...Crafter By Night and voted for my clutch!  Voting has ended and I'm in the top 6!  Thanks for the votes!  Click here to see my entry for week 3.



8 comments:

Kristina said...

Hi There! You can't imagine how thrilled your comment on my blog about evening primrose and bluebonnets reminded you of your Texas childhood made me. I was going for a Texas flower patch (since that's where the recipients live), but I didn't think I had really achieved that. So thanks! Okay, time to "flip through" your blog!

Kristina said...

Oh my word, that clutch is CUTE!

Rosie said...

Thank you for this....it's on my to make list soon.

Rosie x

Chris said...

Hi Jenny, what an adorable clutch purse. You sure are clever to be able to make that out of scraps you had around. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

Jenny, this is adorable.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Thats great,simple,easy & beautiful~ thanks for sharing its tutorial,I am coming from a link party & your link was really eye catchy :)
Have fun ~

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

C-ute! I love the little pocket. Thanks so much for linking it up to Fabulous Friday. Please do come back next week!

Warmly, Michelle

Unknown said...

I loved your project. I also make handbags at home using left-over things and different kinds of patches. This one has inspired me a lot. I also got some of the inspiration from this book by Altered Upcycling. Check it out!
http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Christmas-Gifts-Crafts-beautiful-ebook/dp/B008QZ1AHI%3FSubscriptionId%3D0ENGV10E9K9QDNSJ5C82%26tag%3Dflatwave-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008QZ1AHI

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...