Friday, October 7, 2011

Dumbledore Costume

This may be my favorite costume I've made my kids, ever. Well, maybe second best--last year's Captain Smith, of Titanic fame, is up there, too.
My kids are going through a definite Harry Potter phase.  J wanted to be Dumbledore for Halloween this year, which I think is awesome.  I mean, every kid wants to be Harry, but how many do you know who have dressed up as Dumbledore, the awesomest wizard ever?

Using this photo as inspiration, I created a Dumbledore costume.
For the robe, I bought some cheap gray broadcloth at Walmart and traced a robe shape around J's body as he laid on top of the fabric.  I cut it out and sewed the back to the front, adding trim along the front and sleeves.  Though you can't see it, the front has a frog-type button clasp to hold it closed.
I'm pretty proud of the beard and hair.  Last year I made a beard out of felt for the Capt. Smith costume, but I wanted this one to be more flowey.  I thought of batting, but it wasn't quite what I wanted.  Instead, I used one of those fake spiderwebs they sell with the Halloween decorations!  Rather than stretching it out into a spider web, as it's meant for, I cut it into lengths and stretched it just wide enough to be hair-like.  I sewed the beard and mustache to a felt base, which ties around his head (and over his ears) with ribbon.  The hair is sewn onto the hat.
For the hat, I just sewed a length of fabric to a circle roughly the size of the top of J's head.  I trimmed it, of course, and even made a little tassel for the top out of a few inches of fringe that I bought in the trim section at Walmart.
Total cost?  About $10.  Cuteness factor?  Priceless.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

you are so talented! And J makes a great Dumbledore!

Christopher said...

Lemon drops!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

Alan and Denise said...

Very nice!

KendasCrafts said...

great costume and the price is unbeatable!

Just Jaime said...

This looks SO good! Great job!

I stumbled this!

Unknown said...

Hello! You are a genius!!! I'm trying to recreate your great idea of the Dumbledore costume, but adult size. Is there anyway you can explain how you made the robe with a little more detail? Did you buy the trim at WalMart too? I'm an amateur when it comes to patterns and sewing. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...