Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yellow Skirt and Flower Pin Blouse

Quite awhile ago, I saw this dress in Anthropologie.  On the mannequin, it had a matching flower pin pinned to the neckline.  It was gorgeous.
Anthropologie is WAY out of my price range.  But, I tried on the dress anyway.  Sadly for me/fortunately for my budget, the dress was too short. 

I got the idea that I would try to copy it.  It shouldn't be that hard, I thought, it's basically just a white blouse and a yellow skirt.  I got it into my head that it was a pencil skirt, though I later realized that it wasn't quite.  I went looking for some yellow light-weight corduroy.  I couldn't find any.  I found a lemony-colored corduroy, but it wasn't what I wanted.  I wanted as close to the original dress' color as I could find, since it's primarily the color that I fell in love with. 

I evenutally gave up on corduroy.  I found a similar color of cotton twill in the bargain section of Denver Fabrics (only 2.95/yard).  And, I bought a basic pencil-skirt pattern from Walmart (Simplicity 2475) 

Here is the result:

It's not quite the same effect as the Anthropologie dress, but I like it anyway.  And, I like the kick-pleats in the back.  So, I made the skirt and the flower pins.  I already owned the blouse.  I think the ribbon flowers I made tie the whole outfit together well.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  What do you think? 

1 comment:

Deb said...

i LOVE it! in fact, after having searched in vain for a skirt i like, i've decided to make one (or maybe two) and i really like that pattern. i think i like it better than the anthro original. great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...