If I were a really on-the-ball blogger, I would have had this costume done in September and blogged it the first week of October (and would now be posting Christmas tips). But, I'm not. I'm a busy mom of three who got all the costumes done just in the nick of time. :) I've got a few more in the pipeline for...when I get to it. (Just keeping it real, people, just keeping it real.) :)
I had a few Facebook friends tell me they couldn't look at my pictures (or look away, if you know what I mean), as it was too freaky. Can't say I blame them. Weeping Angels are, in my opinion, the scariest Doctor Who villains.
I've never done full Halloween makeup before. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be (and I didn't break out after, either!).
I used this tutorial as a jumping off point. I wasn't going to go quite as gung ho as she did, as this was just for a few hour church Halloween Trunk or Treat. But, it gave me a few ideas as to how to execute the costume.
I used foam poster board to do the wings. I cut wing shapes out of the foam board, and used the extra left over to cut "feathers" out of. I hot-glued the feathers to the wings.
I used duct tape to tape the wings together, looser on the outside and tighter on the inside (if that even makes sense...), so they'd stay in a partly closed position.
I then spray-painted them well, duct tape and all.
I then added some elastic to them so I could wear them (in the same manner as the costume/little kid fairy wings you can buy). I should have used heavier elastic, but all I had on hand was skinny little stuff, and by that point, I was ready to just.be.done.already. :) By the end of the night, my wings were pretty droopy (see picture above--I had to keep remembering to pull them up) because the elastic over-stretched. Eh. It worked out fine for one night.
I used gray tights as long gloves, just like the original tutorial did. I probably could have just bought gray winter gloves, as it was rather cold the night of the (partly outdoor) party, and I wore a grey long-sleeved shirt over the long "gloves" for warmth.
For the dress, I drafted a yoke for the top, then draped about 2 yards (1.5 maybe? Bad blogger...no good records were kept!) of fabric, gathered well, and attached it to the yoke (both in front and in back).
I sewed the sides together, leaving the arm holes very large (and sleeveless) because I was just too lazy to bother with a zipper or anything. I wanted this quick and easy and able to slip over my head! I then tied a grey ribbon around the waist and we had a dress! I duct taped (yes, sewing blasphemy, I know) a hula hoop to the hem, to give me a statue look.
The wig was one of my favorite parts. I sewed grey yarn to a...ahem...pantyhose cap, then braided and twisted the yarn into an angel-esque hairstyle. I added a ribbon headband and everything. Bobby pins don't really work with a yarn wig, of course, so I secured the bun with a few stitches.
It was a very fun costume to wear, even if only a select few knew what I was. I knew what I was, and my Doctor Who fan family members knew who I was, and they had a great time with me as I pretended to be a Weeping Angel and tried to "get" them. :) I had a seriously fun time wearing this costume and fully embracing my nerdiness.