Thursday, September 8, 2011

Peach Jam

I just canned for the very first time ever! I watched my Mom do it when I was a kid, even helped her sometimes. But, this time I did it all by myself (okay, I called home a few times). :)

I was fortunate enough to get a box of yummy Palisade Peaches.  I made some pies, but I decided to use the rest to make some peach jam.



The peaches looked yummy and juicy after I blanched/peeled them.  

Look, I'm canning!  :)

It was rather satisfying to see all those amber-colored jars lined up on the counter.



I used the Ball Blue Book recipe for peach jam:
(I doubled the below recipe so I could use pint jars rather than half-pints)

1 quart finely chopped, pitted/cored, peeled peaches or pears
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pouch liquid pectin

Combine fruit, sugar, and lemon juice in a large saucepot.  Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in liquid pectin.  Return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Skim foam if necessary.  Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece caps.  Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

2 comments:

Alan and Denise said...

Looks yummy--and pretty, too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...