Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Black and White Polka Dot Dress

If it seems I've been a little MIA lately, it's because I've been traveling. Among those travels was my cousin's wedding. And, of course, a wedding is a perfect excuse to make a new dress! My cousin's colors were black, white, and red. So, I made this cute black and white dress (and a red headband to go with it!).


While looking for black-and-white-dress inspiration, I came across this lovely from ModCloth:

I loved the scallops on the neckline and hem, and decided it was the one to recreate.  Using my trusty Simplicity 2591 pattern (from which I also made this dress) and Michael Miller's Ta-Dot fabric, I set out to make a dress with a similar look.


Last time, I used view C.  This time, I used view A, but with a slightly altered neckline and different sleeves.  I lowered the neckline a bit and put on full sleeves rather than cap sleeves.  Cap sleeves and high necklines do me no favors!  :)

I also added scallops to the skirt hem, neckline, and sleeves.  I don't have a machine that will do the scalloped embroidery the way I wanted, and there was no way I was going to hand embroider all of that.  So, I got a little creative and used black piping instead of embroidery.

Front view:

Back view:
It's basically a simple dress, but I think the scalloped edges make it a little more unique than if I'd just done a plain polka-dot dress.  I really like my new dress.  :)

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Love it! You are so talented!

elizabeth said...

Your dress is lovely!

Emily said...

What a great dress! :)

annies home said...

love the simplicity

Cation Designs said...

I love the scalloping on the hem! Simple and cute dress.

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

I'm so crushing on polka dots right now -- this is awesome! I LOVE the scallop hem and the itty bitty black along the hem, too. Well done, girl!

Kristina said...

I love polka dots! What a fun dress.

Jules said...

It makes me laugh when you say its a simple dress. Maybe it is a GORGEOUSLY simple dress, but you have to know that if I attempted to make a dress I would end up with a toga-ish design that looked like a preschooler made it. You are AMAZING!!! Beautiful job, and awesome polka dots!!! jules

Sharon said...

I love it! I especially love the scalloped edges.

BluBabesCreate said...

Polka dots forever! Come see some designer scriptures!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

My mom used to call it "polky-dot", but whatever you call it--I love it. This is an adorable dress. Great job! Thanks for linking it to Fab Friday!

Warmly, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...